Thursday, April 4, 2024

The Days of the Old Schoolyard

In another life, I attended a prep school in mid-Manhattan (I'm not listing the name, my brothers and sisters know it and that's enough) as something akin to a duck-billed platypus. 

My father was headmaster of the lower school so I was a 'scholarship child' in the upper school though I don't think I fully appreciated that at the time. I even attended 'tea-dances' as they were called; heavily chaperoned mixers with all girl-schools complete with live music from five and six-piece ensembles. Seriously. 

My recollection is that for both tenth and eleventh grades, I shared a homeroom with the heir to the New York Times publishing dynasty, who was a good person with a great sense of humor. I was thinking about that sense of humor when I fell across an article from McSweeney's.

I only know about McSweeney's because of a very dear Facebook friend, C.R. Foster, who is also a superlative writer (you should check out their latest, The Rain Artist), has on occasion had short pieces in the magazine.   

Not like the one I found. Anyway, I hope both of them can find it as funny as I did. Enjoy.
-bill kenny

No comments:

Man or Mouse?

We see ourselves as the self-anointed 'Crown of Creation.' I'm surprised more of us don't have dislocated shoulders from pat...