Thursday, April 4, 2024

The Days of the Old Schoolyard

In another life, I attended a prep school in mid-Manhattan (I'm not listing the name, my brothers and sisters know it and that's enough) as something akin to a duck-billed platypus. 

My father was headmaster of the lower school so I was a 'scholarship child' in the upper school though I don't think I fully appreciated that at the time. I even attended 'tea-dances' as they were called; heavily chaperoned mixers with all girl-schools complete with live music from five and six-piece ensembles. Seriously. 

My recollection is that for both tenth and eleventh grades, I shared a homeroom with the heir to the New York Times publishing dynasty, who was a good person with a great sense of humor. I was thinking about that sense of humor when I fell across an article from McSweeney's.

I only know about McSweeney's because of a very dear Facebook friend, C.R. Foster, who is also a superlative writer (you should check out their latest, The Rain Artist), has on occasion had short pieces in the magazine.   

Not like the one I found. Anyway, I hope both of them can find it as funny as I did. Enjoy.
-bill kenny

No comments:

Lest We Forget

Sometimes important stuff gets lost in the revelry. This is Labor Day 2026, and we need to consider where we are and where we would be if th...