Friday, November 7, 2014

(Too) Many Different Kinds of Poverty

I'm pretty sure The Lord created us with pockets in our trousers so we could take as much as we want whenever we want and to have someplace to put it all rather than share it with anyone else. Just because (so far) no religious scholar has endorsed the notion that any Deity currently in play was a haberdasher at any time through eternity does nothing to alter the strength of my belief in the purpose and history of pockets.

And, since this is America after all, if you disagree with me you're a 'looser' (someone sent me an email Wednesday after the election results telling me that's who I was. I assume they feel themselves to be more of a 'tightener' while I'm thinking of something far less kind) or perhaps a 'libtard' or my new favorite, a booger-eater (I like its non-partisan appeal and utility; after all, our opinions are like noses, we all have one and they smell).

With the change in management in Dodge City, I expect to hear a whole heckuva lot more about how we're a nation founded on "Judeo-Christian principles" (that (very) few of the Republic's Founders actually professed to possess and that is a fine idea except quite often the things we do speak so much more loudly, I cannot hear what we are saying.

Leave it to Florida (Fort Lauderdale in this instance), who added 'hanging chad' to our vocabulary a decade ago almost forcing Jeremy Clyde to continue as a solo act, to take our half century-long War on Poverty to a whole 'nother level in a take-no-prisoners approach that does not portend well for anyone in our society who's weak or disenfranchised in any way.  

Please don't tell there's another side to this story. You're missing the flick if you do. Here's all you need to read in any of the accounts of this arrest, "Any human has the right to help his fellow man." Except in Fort Lauderdale, it seems.

Somehow we've gone from a War on Poverty to declaring war on poor people. I'm not sure where we'll be building the camps to house all the prisoners of this new war, but I suspect those with deep pockets and darkened limo windows already have options on that real estate as the lights continue to slowly go out across the self-proclaimed Greatest Nation on Earth.
-bill Kenny

No comments:

Kyrie Eleison

Today marks the start of my seventy-second revolution around the sun. To be honest, there were times this past year when I didn't think ...