Friday, February 3, 2012

Madam I'm Adam

When you grow up in a large family keeping track of your siblings’ birthdays becomes a major undertaking. You can cheat when you still live at home because Mom worries about all of that-and in this case, probably still does-but once you’re gone, you can never come back when you’re out of the blue and into the black.

We grew up under one roof, or more precisely a series of different roofs, as six children in the same family but closer to being two clusters of three children reasonably close together with a pregnant pause (pun intended) in the middle (that may get me a pop on the nose from one or more of my brothers and sisters). 

Evan Dolores, Kelly Christopher, Kara Melissa, Jill Marie and Adam. My mother hadn’t run out of middle names by the time she got to Adam, but the check engine light on whimsy was burning brightly. Mom loves to tell of the day Adam, whose birthday we celebrate today, was being baptized and Father Stosh expressed (mild) surprise at his having but one name. Our mother explained to the good priest ‘he was God’s first and he’s my last. Pour the water.’

I’m not sure any of us kids gave any of that a moment’s thought. Adam was another Kenny Kid to be piled into the Chrysler Newport station wagon that was eventually replaced by a Ford Country Squire because in the pre-fab sprout era of America, what else could hold that many children? 

I am inordinately fond of my youngest brother and make no apologies for it. I have my reasons and they’re not mine if I tell you. We look nothing alike but I suspect people guess easily that we are brothers (so much for the element of surprise). I'm the more handsome but also the more modest, while he has the talent and the wisdom (to not argue about the looks and modesty). 

Adam has all the brains some of us older children suggested might be genetically possible without actually realizing. We were the promise, he was the performance. He was my wingman at Rutgers College-too young, yet, for school himself, I took him with me to courses sometimes every day for a week or more. I never asked him what he made of his first college experience (he is a devoted RU football fan, despite being a CU Buffalo Alum) or what, if anything, he got out of listening to music on eight track cartridges in my Pinto, at max vol, rushing cross-town in New Brunswick (before its renaissance) to classes on the various campuses.

I lied to him later, not so much a lie as pulling his leg, when I promised him an armadillo when I was going to Air Force basic training in San Antonio, Texas, or later, as I assured him I’d bring him back a penguin from my assignment in Greenland (I think he had long known penguins were found only at the other pole; I learned that only after having purchased a pigeon in a tuxedo six months after arriving at Sondy.)

The six of us kenny kids are a rambling, shambling assortment of aspiration, inspiration and perspiration but as long as we all continue to practice respiration we’ll never lack for company. I'm not sure what our spouses make of us and we rarely enough ever get together so the danger of that is minimal. Adam and Margaret are still getting used to living in a house with an echo, which is what parents everywhere earn as a result and reward of doing their jobs. That might make today’s birthday a little different in terms of third-party help when it’s time to blow out the candles, but I think my youngest brother will do just fine. Take a deep breath and have a Happy Birthday, Adam!
-bill kenny 

No comments:

Charting a Course

Now that we've had three weeks or so to catch our breath (scout for exits perhaps and count our spare change) I heard someone suggest th...