Saturday, February 18, 2012

Wedding Bell Blues

Wow. I almost had nothing. This has been a long week at my work and I've been short on energy as we've all struggled along. So intent was I on making it to this three day weekend that when I sat down to write this I didn't have a clue on a topic. And then Chris Christie and the New Jersey legislature came along. Phew! Blank space averted!

I grew up in New Jersey-much of my family still lives there. I realize they'll have difficulty believing this but Connecticut, where I live now, makes Jersey look sane. And considering how crazy so much of what goes on in The Garden State actually is, that's saying something. I suppose the argument can be made Jersey has Springsteen, while Connecticut has Micheal Bolton. Advantage: Vince Lombardi Rest Area. On the other hand, Jersey has Bon Jovi, and Connecticut has ... well, nobody. Advantage: the Constitution State.But I digress (there's a surprise).

Without putting too fine a point on this, I do not care who you love (still think it should be whom). As long as I don't have to watch or join in, I'm fine with your choice (if you are). It's not that I'm a liberal on the issue-I'm beyond indifferent. I suspect almost all of us feel about the same in terms of who should fall in love with whom (I feel a lot better now). It's only those with an agenda of self-aggrandizement who want me to care so much about a choice so private and so personal I'm tempted to cover my eyes while typing about it.

With so much else in every corner of every state of our union in need of help, legislatures from Washington State through Maryland and my old stomping grounds want to do exactly what? Considering what a cock-up our elected leadership has made of our country in all matters great and small, how stoned and stupid do you have to be to believe they're the folks who'll provide 'liberty and justice for all'? Seriously?

This weekend is actually a really good time to wonder how much the times in which we've lived as a nation shaped those chosen to be President and how much those chosen have shaped their times. I grew into an adult as my country 'tis of thee accepted all races, creeds, colors, genders and religions were entitled to equal protection and opportunity-and that idea became more than just some proud words on the pages of a tome in a bookshelf.

Spare me, and all of us, the sideshow carny antics from Walla-Walla, Annapolis or Trenton. Work on the big things and stop pretending the little things are the same thing. Treat one another as you would treat yourself. The road of good intentions has gone dry as a bone and it's going to take all of us to fix everything that needs fixing and no one is going to care where you spent the night before or with whom.          
-bill kenny

No comments:

Charting a Course

Now that we've had three weeks or so to catch our breath (scout for exits perhaps and count our spare change) I heard someone suggest th...