Saturday, December 21, 2013

Getting By on 3.39 Million Dollars

This is the first day of winter though here in Connecticut you'd never know it by the weather conditions-I'm not complaining and if this is as cold and snowy as it gets through Opening Day of Baseball Season, I'm fine and thanks whoever is in charge of that.

With less than sixty days until pitchers and catchers report, I came across this report the other day and am now giving some serious thought to packing a suitcase and taking a train heading to the Citrus League because at one time I had a pretty decent curve. Just sayin'.

I don't know about your paycheck, but looking at mine, I don't need a career in Major League Baseball, just a few weeks to cash a couple of contractual minimum paychecks and then with my recently acquired tan, I'll be shuffling North again. Honest.

A lifetime ago I saw a bumper sticker that read 'what separates the men from the boys is the price of their toys.' Baseball is a business and little more to everyone involved in it except those of us who see ourselves as fans.

From the $15 beers and ten buck hot dogs (wait until we get charged for the buns separately) to the GNP of many developing nations for a second baseman with a career OBP of under .300, the great American past time is marked by greed beyond need, for every boy (and girl) of summer.

The last weekend before Christmas and I'm ruminating on what the average Houston Astro gets paid? If that's my biggest worry it's a pretty good dayThis on the other hand should be a much bigger worry for all of us than it has been in this country, at least so far.


-bill kenny  

No comments:

All Due Respect for Art's Sake

From my earliest days as a short-pants, no romance little kid, I read National Geographic Magazine.  I could be transported anywhere and eve...