Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Not Even a Mouse

Are you happy the rushing around for gifts for Christmas is just about over? Did you ever get a chance to catch your breath and ponder what the season was supposed to be about before all of this turned into that?

Ride easy, I'm not going wobbly on you. What you believe and how devoutly you do so are your personal matters and i wouldn't presume to assume I should intrude.

As a FARC, a fallen away Roman Catholic, I regard with some envy and not a little remorse those whose faith, especially this time of year, remains strong and steadfast and who truly and deeply wish one another and all others a Merry Christmas and mean it.

I don't have that faith anymore. I traded it for other more 'useful' gifts and beliefs that were, themselves, sacrificed or bartered away in the name of the expedient and the much more useful. I have no idea what became of those gifts but I remember how tenaciously the Magi guarded theirs and rue the path I chose for the price I paid.


People are still lining up in stores to purchase things as if the things they are buying are what makes the holiday. You and I know better-or should. It's taken a lot for us to learn that lesson. Have yourself a Merry Little Christmas.
-bill kenny

No comments:

Now and Zen

Our local supermarket, feeling the competitive pressure no doubt of an Arkansas retail chain in a business where profit margins often disapp...