Tuesday, February 18, 2014

A Scene from the Jack London High School Reunion

I've lived a very large percentage of my life in the Northeast United States where we have all four seasons. I'm as good as the next guy in kvetching about August's heat and humidity and when we get to winter, where we seem to have come to parade rest at the moment, I've accepted while staring through my living room windows that I'm looking at pine and not palm trees.

Having embraced my geography I will acknowledge that, yes, I'm getting a little tired of the snow-at least the parts of it that involve driving in it or shoveling it from my sidewalk and driveway. Shoveling snow is like mowing the lawn or shaving. No matter how well you do it, you will do it again and how well it was previously accomplished will matter not a jot. 

I should tell you I am sporting a week's worth of beard so I concede there is admittedly some work on my theory that has yet to be completed. I still smile watching kids wander the neighborhood with shovels, knocking on doors of houses with snow-covered sidewalks offering to clear them for a consideration. The triumph of American free enterprise! Bet that never gets out sourced to Sri Lanka.

Meanwhile, their younger / youngest brothers and sisters hope for a ride in Mom's taxi to the hill at Buckingham or the rolling inclines of the Norwich Golf Course (or the equivalent in your neck of the woods) even as the flurries gather more furiously because we are born with a sense of fun that I fear as we grow older grows cold within us. 

I could not tell you the last time I made a snow angel or threw a snowball (and which my parole officer assures me is the correct answer under any and all circumstances). My supply of top hats and scarves for snowmen (snow persons is probably politically correct) is exhausted, but I still see the fun in all of those activities and if you have the time, we have the snow. Stop by and help yourself. 


But do not bring James Knudsen who is NOT helping my 'shaving is a lot like shoveling' argument very much judging from the picture and is perilously close to forfeiting his membership in the Burl Ives Fan Club.
-bill kenny 

No comments:

Now and Zen

Our local supermarket, feeling the competitive pressure no doubt of an Arkansas retail chain in a business where profit margins often disapp...