Sunday, December 14, 2014

The Echoes of Laughter Have Faded

As an oldest child I spend a lot of time fretting over what is and what could have been, often failing badly to see my role and responsibility in moving from the former to the latter.

Today is an anniversary of sorts for something so many of us couldn't grasp when when it happened, and, I confess, I still didn't "get" any better when we observed its first anniversary. Today, two years on, I don't think we're any closer to understanding except now we have numbers to argue about as well.

I'm not any smarter today than I was a year ago except to realize that I'm not any smarter. and am no closer to understanding now than I was then. Here's the words I offered a year ago-they remain as inadequate as they were at the time.

I cannot imagine how long this day is for a parent who suffered the loss of a child, a husband of a wife, a son or daughter of a parent, but I do know that today in Newtown, Connecticut, every one trying to heal will hurt again.


Everywhere we turn today will be accounts recounting everything that everyone will ever know about an unthinkable tragedy that happened one year ago today but
there is one thing we with all of our research and analysis will never know.


For a small town whose residents will always have broken hearts that can never heal today is just the next day in the unending tragedy that will only end when all memory of what happened has gone. And that will never happen.


Even if you have a problem with God, or in my case S/He with me, maybe a truce is in order so that you can remember the twenty-six angels who entered heaven a year ago today.


-bill kenny

No comments:

Now and Zen

Our local supermarket, feeling the competitive pressure no doubt of an Arkansas retail chain in a business where profit margins often disapp...