Monday, October 26, 2015

When the Past is Only Prologue

As I age, I seem to be visited by the ghosts of previous dreams, though I'm never sure if they are really dreams I've had and half-forgotten or actually someone else's dreams that wandered the universe until they took up residence in my head. 

The patterns and threads of our lives, as individuals, neighbors, citizens of a nation or of the world lull us sometimes into thinking because of the reality in which we live this reality can only be the only reality. 

But.

What if the world were otherwise? What if we made us who we are? Don't smile or smirk. We have spent centuries if not millennia blaming time and tides, some form of a god versus someone else' Deity as we struggle to rule and usually create ruin along the way. But what if it is really us? 

Consider carefully when you look at history. We have always been at war with Eurasia or Oceania because we choose to accept that this has always been so. The names change-the struggle goes on. Breaking a chain, cutting a cord would reinvent the universe. 


I found this photo on-line from The Troubles in Northern Ireland, no date given (and quite frankly, no date really needed) and it stopped me in my scroll. As I mentioned, I know it's from The Troubles, but half-close your eyes and it can be anyone anywhere at any time. 

The child sees the past while the soldier sees the future. Conflict begets conflict. Learn to co-exist or cease to. A simple lesson so hard to learn
-bill kenny

No comments:

A Childhood Memory

As a child at Saint Peter's (sic) School in New Brunswick, New Jersey, it was forcibly impressed upon us by the Sisters of Charity whose...