Monday, February 19, 2018

Sprawled Across the Davenport of Despair

I like time off as much as the next person. Actually in terms of enthusiasm, probably as much as the next three persons, so today is right up my street.  Happy Presidents Day (apostrophe much like personification seems to be a hit and miss proposition)! 

When I was a kid, we had separate school holidays for Abraham Lincoln and George Washington but I'm thinking all those who attended places like James Buchanan Middle School or Millard Fillmore Vocational-Agriculture High School insisted we do something for them. And of course, wearing a winter coat in memory of William Henry Harrison was never going to be enough. 

So here we are almost two hundred and forty-two years since the founding of the republic and taking an inventory of our history leaves me more than a little disquieted. Cast a glance at the signatories of the Declaration of Independence; it won't take long and the furniture stores are open until late so stop fussing (besides, online never closes). There are a lot of names we know but how many of them went on to become President of the United States?

And now? Let's not get me started on the incompetent infant currently ensconced in the White House. Look at the 'Bigger Picture' and what do we have? Seems to me as we wade in, the presidential talent pool doesn't even come to my ankles. 

Instead of revolution, we have devolution and we've replaced democracy with kleptocracy and told one another it's the exact same thing. Next stop ready or not, Pure BlissBuckle up, buttercup; it's about to be a dark ride. But hope you snag a bargain on a lounge suite.  
-bill kenny         

No comments:

Candles on the Cake Set off the Smoke Alarm

I got congratulated a lot Friday for my birthday when it was really my mom who deserved all the credit. I was, literally, along for the ride...