Saturday, February 24, 2018

What Is It You Get When You Didn't Get What You Want?


When it popped up in my email last week, my first thought was 'how did they know my address?' And then I took a look at the sender and had my answer. Then and only then, as my second thought, was "whoa!"

I have no idea what the Dark Web is. I'm unclear if it's a place somewhere on line, sort of like an informational speakeasy with bootleg hootch and flappers with cigarette holders. 

I tried typing Dark Web.com, knowing it was an internet Hail Mary at best, and was admittedly less than impressed with the search results so I felt a little bit like Dionne Warwick in that era before GPS roamed the earth (great song!) as I entered my email address for the free search.

Experian like Equifax has been hacked, so my evil twin, Skippy, was sure they knew the answer to their own search question even before asking me as a more than reasonable amount of whatever it is and wherever it is located had probably started out on one of their servers until it was liberated by those sworn to practice and pursue entrepreneurial outcomes that benefited only themselves.

And, as he pointed out to me, sadly and accurately, signing up for the free test drive offer came with a cost, a seemingly endless stream of email from the now-concerned folks at Experian offering me such a  deal on identity theft protection.

And I'll need it since I'm hoping to purchase a new barn now that we've confirmed the horse has already exited. Judging from the offal masquerading as silver bullets in the hay, it, too, may be suffering from an identity crisis.

-bill kenny     

No comments:

Candles on the Cake Set off the Smoke Alarm

I got congratulated a lot Friday for my birthday when it was really my mom who deserved all the credit. I was, literally, along for the ride...