Saturday, February 17, 2018

Sort of the First Robin of Spring

Mark Twain really nailed it, in terms of the yo-yo nature of the weather we've been having here in the Northeast in the last couple of days. It's still winter, I can tell by the calendar even if the occasional glance out the window suggests something else, and that's all well and good.

We're picking up daylight, rather than burning it down, at a decent enough rate and pace so SAD sacks like me have reasons to be cheerful, or as cheerful as we ever get. And just the other day, as I struggled to not get maimed or killed by the treadmill I run on to improve my health at the fitness center, 

I looked up at the wall of monitors and there in the early morning of CNN's Early Start, I saw what for me is my first sign of spring, an advertising Robin, if you will, for the Sunsetter awning. Every year, they come back on cable news channels to offer us the promise of summer without the simmer. In nearly sixty-six years on the big blue marble, I've never yet known anyone who purchased one and yet there it was as large as life, and maybe larger, on the monitor on the far wall right next to that goodly assortment of folks on Fox News Channel at four in the morning. 

Now, come what may weather-wise, I am heartened and of good cheer. Can those Memorial Day everything-must-go furniture sales commercials be too far behind?
-bill kenny   

No comments:

Pack Your Own Chute

I have been pretty much a homebody since retirement six years ago. Sue me. I like to sleep in my own bed. That doesn't mean I'm aver...