Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Random Beeswax

My wife and I spent the weekend helping my sister and her husband's family celebrate the engagement of their first-born. It was some great, extended family time as well as an opportunity for me to test and re-test some memories. 

I wasn't born in New Jersey but I most certainly grew up there before moving first to Europe and ultimately Connecticut to grow old so it was a chance for me on Friday (on our way down) to meander through New Brunswick which has changed a lot in the forty plus years since I was  Scarlet Knight (Keira was already taken) and yet surprisingly very little. 


Not sure what exactly my wife made of my right-hand fingerpointing tour guide impersonation as we sped down Easton Avenue and passed Bloomfield Avenue while announcing, "I lived at 33, on the left-hand side of the street from the second grade through tenth grade" but I most certainly said it and almost decided on the way back on Sunday morning to turn into the street and show her the house.

We had time on Saturday morning to wander around in Princeton, a somewhat alien clime for a Scarlet Knight, but as pretty a town in real life as it was in my memory, which included a snapshot of taking my younger brothers and sisters to Saint Paul School on most mornings and getting stopped and ticketed on more than one occasion by Princeton police for 'speeding' though the cars passing me prior to my pull-over weren't until it dawned on me that my 1962 Corvair might actually be attracting all the attention. Glad I always drove with my window rolled down (suspect Kara, Jill, and Adam would be as well had they ever thought about it). 

Logged about four hundred and seventy miles roundtrip (plus vicinity mileage) from Friday through Sunday and slept in on Monday awakening shortly after seven to find today's title neatly written in block letters on my calendar blotter. 

Not sure what it means, assuming it means anything at all but I am starting to get very used to the idea, despite an almost half-century of practice otherwise, that not everything has to have a meaning or merits worry if it doesn't
-bill kenny                   

No comments:

Still Waiting on My Pony Ride

Today is the 150th running of the " Fastest Two Minutes in the Whole Dam World or Something Like It ."  It's Kentucky Derby Da...