Wednesday, March 13, 2019

The Leap

There's not a week, no matter the weather or season, while I'm out walking around that my footsteps don't lead me to Uncas Leap. Sometimes I encounter others as well, thrilling to the roar of the Yantic River at Lower Falls or, during the winter months, standing on the pedestrian bridge through which you can feel the vibrations of the rushing waters while admiring the ice formations on the rocks, trees, and bushes facing us. 



Other times I'll wander upriver a little to the remnants of the mill house at Upper Falls where there's also usually a few folks enjoying the beauty and splendid isolation of this idyll practically in the middle of our city and still such a well-kept secret for some reason. 

I'm already looking forward to the implementation of the Uncas Leap Master Plan that's been developing over the last couple of years so that so many more people, from within and without Norwich, can learn and appreciate the stories behind the history while also making stories of their own as well. 



Actually, we can be a part of that story-telling right now, as a former Norwich resident, actor, and playwright Sarah E. Taylor fundraises to finance her first short film, 'The Leap.' The fundraiser ends next Wednesday so now would be a really good time to click on that link and help out.

Though she departed Norwich a decade ago for a career in writing and directing, settling in  Brooklyn, New York, Taylor says "(o)ne of my fondest memories of Norwich was riding my bicycle with friends around town during summer evenings. We would watch the waterfalls at Indian Leap, make our way through downtown, and just enjoy the scenery that the town has to offer."

Taylor chose acting as a career in her teens, though her path in pursuit of that goal was somewhat circuitous. 
"As an avid gamer, I actually wanted to make video games, but I found a way I can actually be IN them by being a voice actor. I started getting involved with the theater arts during my time at Norwich Free Academy and then I continued my education at LIU Post in Long Island, NY."



Her experiences have shaped her direction. "The discipline I was taught as a band member with the NFA Marching Band and the rigorous training I received at LIU Post helped shape my determination and endless drive."

She has a lot of reason for making 'The Leap.' "I'm a history buff, so being able to tell a story related to the legend behind "Indian Leap" is an exciting venture for me -- along with being able to give a "shout out" to my hometown! Norwich is a gold mine for film locations, I hope more filmmakers can take advantage of it." 



Taylor's film hopes to give a contemporary perspective to the Indian Leap legend, rooting itself, as she says, "in our LGBTQ+ youth. I would like audiences to see that while we, as a community, have made great strides in acceptance, there are still many obstacles and bigotry we must overcome."

So while Taylor continues to plan 'The Leap' she hopes it will also serve as another small step forward of inclusion and support for every person in every community.
-bill kenny

No comments:

Call Me Ishmael

Somedays surfing the web is like trying to talk to Queequeg without staring at his tattoos.  I, for one, did not realize Hermann Melville wa...