Sunday, December 29, 2019

Definitely Different and Maybe Better

I never know what to make of TV commercials for products that boast they are "new and improved." I mean, which is it? You can only be one OR the other; not AND the other. I didn't make the rules, sorry, but I do insist we all live by them.

I was thinking about this on Friday morning when, finally, weeks of sporadic outages with our 'bundle' of cable, phone, and internet (First World Problem akin to having a too-short mobile phone charging cable), while we were out on other errands, we stopped into a store from a different billion-dollar combine that provides these services and signed up to 'switchback' to them (we were a customer from 1991 until the early summer of 2011). 

A somewhat disquieting moment during that otherwise pleasant office visit: the realization that the company still had all my data from when I was last a customer...eight plus years earlier. I decided to NOT ask why they'd retained it as Mom once told me 'don't ask the question if you can't stand the answer'  and I am very sure I would not have been able to stand the answer.

I have basically nothing to do at this stage in the process, aside for waiting for the installer to arrive 'Friday morning between ten and noon,' said the customer representative and swap out all of the new guys' equipment for all the old guys' equipment. 

I'm thinking maybe I'm the one who has to ship the stuff that worked, at best, only fitfully for the last three or so months, back to the soon-to-be-former-providers so someone else can nearly enjoy the convenience of almost having a 'bundle' if not of joy than of cables, routers, and back-up batteries and such.  

It should be a lot like heaven, except we'll have clothes on (I hope).
-bill kenny

No comments:

Yom Hashoah

Words are real only in an intellectual sense. They are not material of any kind and as such have no shape, size, mass, or structure. As kids...