Sunday, December 15, 2019

Slouching Towards Bethlehem

Am I blaspheming if I look at the past fifty weeks of this year and exhale as I say 'it's been a helluva time'? Rhetorical question in my case, I suppose.

I know this is supposed to be the Season of Hope but still, at times it's a hard slog. For me, thankfully, today, Gaudete Sunday, remains a bright spot and has since my earliest school days.


Before I had memorized the entire Latin Mass, in hopes (forlorn) of becoming an altar boy, I had theorized from what I understood of the roots of the word Gaudete and its proximity to the birth of Jesus that it must somehow be Latin for 'just hold on a little bit longer.' I still think I should get partial credit for grasping the feeling if not the exact meaning

A lot of the warmth of our human hearts regardless of your beliefs is reflected by the holiday seasons that fall together this time of year somehow reminding us, I hope, that we are, when we can see and live beyond our differences, all very much the same people in need of as much light from every candle as we can get.
-bill kenny

No comments:

Yom Hashoah

Words are real only in an intellectual sense. They are not material of any kind and as such have no shape, size, mass, or structure. As kids...