Saturday, July 17, 2021

Somewhere, John Sebastian Is Smiling

I subscribe to both of our local daily newspapers even though my subscription includes the online versions (and would actually cost less without an actual newspaper being delivered) primarily because fossil that I am, I enjoy spreading the newspapers out on the kitchen table and reading them over coffee.

I very thoroughly read both newspapers always the sports sections after the news parts and saving the comics, as they should be for dessert which, in a roundabout way, makes the sports pages the palate cleanser I guess. 

I don't read all the comics on the comics pages at least in years past I didn't. Strips like "Mary Worth" or "Apartment 3G," as well as "Nancy," and "Cathy," I stopped reading years ago and I'm not suggesting cause and effect but they don't appear in my newspapers anymore so go figure, I guess. 

My current least favorite comic is produced locally and is all about cats, I read it every day even though I never like it so it's kinda like Listerine for my eyes, perhaps. On Sunday I save Prince Valiant for the very last, sometimes I hold off reading it until dinner. It is and has always been my most favorite comic and I've often weighed what I would do if the local paper that carries it were to ever stop. Fingers crossed it never comes to that. 

My current daily favorite to my wife's dismay and disbelief is another local strip, Wallace the Brave. I have no rational explanation for my fondness except it makes me smile very nearly every day and there aren't that many things in life anymore about which I can make that statement. Here's last Saturday's:


And if you don't think both John Sebastian and I roared in reading that, then I can't help you.
-bill kenny  

No comments:

Man or Mouse?

We see ourselves as the self-anointed 'Crown of Creation.' I'm surprised more of us don't have dislocated shoulders from pat...