Saturday, August 14, 2021

Ruth Is Stranger than Bridget

Last Saturday I huffed and puffed for over an hour cutting the grass at our house. It has NOT escaped my notice that as I improve (I never like to type 'age') that some tasks seem to take longer. That morning stroll I make past the Cathedral of Saint Patrick past Little Plains Park and home that was once about forty minutes all told is now about twelve minutes longer and from what I can determine from Google Maps it doesn't seem that Norwich, where I live, has gotten that much larger.  

Same thing with our lawn. By the time I finished on Saturday I was a sweaty sack of mostly wrinkly skin with patches of hair. It felt like I'd been out working on the Lower South 40, whatever that is. That's when Sigrid, watching me inhale and exhale with escalating difficulty, suggested we might consider contracting a service to handle both lawncare and, come winter, snow removal from the sidewalk, as in recent years we've added it seems at least three miles to ours. 

Didn't do a lot of thinking about her proposal until I fell across this:


"To Serve Man." Indeed.
-bill kenny

 

No comments:

Pack Your Own Chute

I have been pretty much a homebody since retirement six years ago. Sue me. I like to sleep in my own bed. That doesn't mean I'm aver...