Saturday, August 21, 2021

When the Choices Were Paper or Plastic

Walking into the Stop and Shop not that ago and catching a sentence fragment between a dad and his young lad on their way out:

Little Guy (LG): "Which would you rather be? Eaten by a shark or a pack of coyotes?"
Bewildered Dad (BD): "What?!? Where's your brother? (spies smaller child already outside) "David! Let's go, now!"

So, it turns out there are folks who do watch Shark Week and take it to heart. Puts me in the mind of having lunch in an aquarium cafeteria and discovering they have fish on the menu, as has happened to me. You start mentally reviewing the exhibits you passed through before lunch just in case there was one 'closed for renovation' and it turns out you've now stumbled upon the real reason.

I didn't get to hear which choice Dad opted for though I was impressed with the question. Thanks to technological innovations like the Internet and nearly unlimited channels of cable and streaming TV, our children now have access to untold volumes of information, probably more before they start in school than you or I had by the time we graduated from high school. 

In theory, this is a good thing, though maybe I'm getting crotchety in my antiquity because we're not making better choices as we age because we treat all information as knowledge when a lot of it may be just closer to noise.

There was a "news" story (the quotes will be evident in a moment), about a Canadian woman setting a new world's record for running on all fours (I hadn't realized there was an old record; I really do need to get out more). Very much a reminder that NOT everything that looks like news is news. Sort of like all ducks are birds but not all birds are ducks. Not that most of us know the difference or care to. 
-bill kenny

No comments:

Candles on the Cake Set off the Smoke Alarm

I got congratulated a lot Friday for my birthday when it was really my mom who deserved all the credit. I was, literally, along for the ride...