Friday, October 29, 2021

Ich Habe die Nase Voll

Since no one else will say it, I will. I am VERY proud of how good I've been in NOT being a snarky azzhole during this election season. 

Here in Connecticut, it's a municipal election cycle with statehouse and gubernatorial elections (and congressional and Senatorial to say nothing of Presidential, either in the mirror or in the foreground) and that's fine because for my money with all due respect to whoever is President (not a sentence I'd have typed this time last year when I had ZERO respect), the folks on my City Council and Mayor's chair or in seats on the Board of Education have a far greater impact on me and mine than anyone else.

My town, like yours, is dotted with lawn signs (a true boon for those in the wireframe business, I sincerely believe), and my local papers are filled with letters from family and friends on why a certain someone would be/is just the right fit for a position, mostly and it's usually in the first two paragraphs someplace because they've lived here all their lives and/or because they love where they live.

Your local newspaper is filled with this same kind of stuff, too. Letters assuring us the people seeking office are good to their Mommas, love Elvis, rescue stranded kittens from trees and, generally are kind and generous people. But, and it's not just me saying this, we already know that. We are all universally fortunate in that we live in cities and towns with carloads of people who want to help and who will work hard to make things better (unless you live next door to me and then, please fall back on the 'There Are Exceptions to Every Rule' rule). 

Except not all of us who want to help can actually do so

All things being equal, how do I pick the goodest of the good-intentioned? Here's a little something for candidates everywhere-too late for this election but there's always a Next Election: It's wonderful your neighbors, co-workers, and your family want to write a letter for a newspaper to tell me how wonderful you are, but take the pen yourself. Tell me your goal, your plan for achieving it, and your measurement device to make sure we don't get lost on the way to the Emerald City. You've one minute to tell me and sell me and no more than that. Do NOT mention puppies. 

Gimme the Truth.
-bill kenny

No comments:

Somewhere Santayana Grimaces

Do you know what a bellend is? See? Learn something new every day. Here's someone who is a perfect representation of both definitions, ...