Sunday, November 7, 2021

Across All the Boroughs

My brother Adam laces up his sneakers on behalf of Stomp the Monster one last time this morning as an entrant in the (return of) New York City Marathon. Since I get exhausted just thinking about 26.2 miles, much less running it, I've resurrected some previous near-thoughts on Adam's efforts. It's possible he'll have finished running his race before I get to the end of the paragraph. That would not be as surprising as it might once have been.

If the past as prologue is accurate, ordinarily over 50,000 people would take to the streets today for the 2021 New York City Marathon, though these are not ordinary times and the Marathon did not happen last year because of COVID Concerns and the actual number of participants this year has been reduced.  

I know of only one runner this year, and he has been in previous NYC Marathons so you can go ahead and root for whomever you wish but I'm pretty much locked in on my point of focus. When all is said and done, and run to be accurate, we can meet up around here and compare notes.


I'm still working on the clocks falling back earlier today and why it's so dark to start this morning and my brother is pounding the pavement with the equivalent of an army division alongside him. 

It's altogether fitting and proper that there be a Kenny back on the streets of the Big City, and this time around, one who has trained for it and whose heart is open to the thrill of possibilities. Go Adam!
-bill kenny

No comments:

Still Waiting on My Pony Ride

Today is the 150th running of the " Fastest Two Minutes in the Whole Dam World or Something Like It ."  It's Kentucky Derby Da...