Sunday, March 27, 2022

Always Room for Ralph

As a kid I wanted to be an astronaut; NOT 'I thought I wanted to be' I really, really did. My mom got a phone call from Sister Immaculata, the principal of Saint Peter's School, in New Brunswick, New Jersey, about an hour after the lift-off of Alan Shepard.

The good sister was concerned, I was told years later by Mom, about the state of upbringing in our home since, in answer to the question, 'what is your biggest concern for the astronaut?' I apparently answered 'keeping his heartbeat under control,' when the correct answer she was looking for was 'the state of his soul.' It honestly never occurred to me, then or even now.  

As I aged I realized keeping my space close to sane on this planet was enough of a struggle without trying to explore the universe but I still spend a lot of time at night looking up at the sky and the moon and the stars. 

I'm hoping I still have a chance to get near the moon, at least sort of

And I wouldn't blame you for pausing while reading this, having clicked on that link above, if you went ahead and signed up to have your name on the flash drive, too. The moon, as was once observed, is a harsh mistress; she's hard to make your own, so the more the merrier would seem to be in order. 

Besides, Alice could use the company.

-bill kenny

No comments:

Short, Sweet, and Sad

Not gonna lie. I missed it and I'll bet you missed it, too.  I'm talking about the recently concluded Texas Sandfest .  As a kid who...