Tuesday, August 9, 2022

Circle of Life

I've mentioned that we feed the neighborhood squirrels peanuts we buy at BJ's. We grab three five-pound bags of peanuts every couple of weeks and toss them by the handful out the backdoor of our house into the yard, between the stoop and the garage.

We attract quite a few squirrels, some more forward than others who are willing to take peanuts out of my hand or climb up on the handle of the screen door to attract our attention. We also draw quite a crowd of bluejays and crows, both of whom also enjoy peanuts. 

I made a disturbing discovery yesterday evening while putting the newspapers into the recycling bin. Atop the garage was a squirrel carcass. It took me a moment to get it off the roof and into a plastic bag for disposal and then I racked my brain thinking about what had happened. 

This morning I had the confirmation of my theory: a HUGE hawk was sitting on the handrail of the rear fire stairs, staring through the kitchen window and curtains, looking at me. Feeding the squirrels is also feeding the animals that feed off the squirrels. 
-bill kenny  

No comments:

Yom Hashoah

Words are real only in an intellectual sense. They are not material of any kind and as such have no shape, size, mass, or structure. As kids...