Friday, November 4, 2022

Jimmy Webb to the Red Courtesy Phone

If the title is a puzzler you are either younger than I am (a very dangerous place to be emotionally, trust me on that) or you didn't pay enough attention to the little records with the big holes (45 rpm) when we were all kids going up.  

Here, let me save you some time. Yeah, pretty amazing stuff. I was introduced to him with his work for Glen Campbell and then, of course, MacArthur Park (prefer Richard to Donna but to each his own) but I will always love his work with, and for, The Fifth Dimension

He may or may not have commercially peaked (I was going to type a different turn of phrase but this is supposed to be a family-friendly space) by the time he collaborated with Frank Sinatra but who am I to say? 

I think if you were to wonder why I thought of him when I watched this clip, we'd both agree it probably means (fingers crossed) absolutely nothing.
-bill kenny

No comments:

Marlin Perkins Approved

John Lennon had a hit, post-Beatles, with Whatever Gets You Through the Night , his only #1 as a solo artist, which featured Elton John. The...