Saturday, December 10, 2022

The Space Between the Synapses

My most recent original thought died of loneliness (which is no surprise to you, I realize) but before that listening to a TV commercial, I wondered about the turn of phrase "emerging sciences believe..."  

WHAT exactly is emerging science? Is it like rock 'n' roll, "I know it when I hear it"; perhaps more like Jennifer Warnes and heartache (and why wasn't that brought us to by Lasik)? As a kid the rule was you had to define a word before you could use it (remember spelling bees and that desperation dodge, 'would you use it in a sentence, please?'). Now, you just throw out words like small chimps in the zoo fling poo, and try, like them, to not get any on you.

We've seen advertisements for prescription medications-who are those messages aimed at, us or doctors? If it's supposed to be us, I have a problem because the names of many prescription medications are nearly unpronounceable. Who comes up with those and how? 
Is it based on the compounds that go into them or do the drug companies hire marketing and opinion research firms to invent words? 

Coming home the other day I was, perhaps, more hurried than I'd otherwise normally be driving to Norwich. I wasn't reckless-I was accelerated. Out of nowhere, a car came up behind me, then beside me, and then well beyond me, disappearing at the bend in the road. What a driver and a complete maniac!

Later I got to thinking about how motivations are internal and behaviors are external, and while everybody's got something to hide, except for me and my monkey when your insides are out and your outsides are in, you can't see what another person is feeling, only what he/she is doing. 

My high-speed driving didn't bother me because I knew why I was going fast. My trouble was that the 'other guy' (the maniac) who didn't reveal his heart, just kept stomping his gas pedal. Of course, to others on the road that afternoon, I had been his nearly-identical twin. Proving yet again sometimes the things we do speak so loudly that we cannot hear what each other is saying.
-bill kenny

No comments:

Choosing Cancer or Polio

There’s a big to-do right now about the movie, “Civil War” described as ‘A journey across a dystopian future America, following a team of mi...