Tuesday, December 20, 2022

Paul & Art

Are you familiar with onomatopoeia (hint: it has nothing to do with Yoko)? 

I ask as a sort of intellectual red herring since what I wanted to share today has a lot to do with sounds but not necessarily those of silence. This might be one of my most favorite pieces of research not only for this entire year but for my entire life.  

If your eyelids got heavy and your brain a little fuzzy trying to read it, no matter. I think the point of the paper is that swear words, no matter the language, become swear words in part because of how they sound when you put the various phonemes of the word together. 

And, no, I wouldn't blame you if you slogged through all of it at my invitation and concluded that was time you'l never get back, especially since you're right.
-bill kenny

No comments:

Choosing Cancer or Polio

There’s a big to-do right now about the movie, “Civil War” described as ‘A journey across a dystopian future America, following a team of mi...