Monday, March 6, 2023

Cameo Would Be Pleased

When we say 'one in a million' we might actually be on to something, in terms of the estimated number of words in the English language. (Babbel respectfully and dramatically disagrees with that estimate, by the way.)  

I'm chagrined to report, as an American, our star-spangled average vocabulary is a fraction of either of those estimates (and I couldn't think of a good word to use instead of fraction, Shame on me.). Time to lower the thesaurus to half-mast I guess.

In recent times, based on folks like Scott Adams and Kyle Rittenhouse I've developed a fondness for a hybrid word, dictim, someone who is BOTH a dick and who plays a victim. 

It's not gender-specific if you'd wondered based on my two examples, as we could also include Congressperson Margarine Trailerpark Greed who, after following David Hogg (a survivor of the Parkland School Massacre) around with a camera crew, taunting him and (more recently) shouting LIAR at the President of the United States during his State of the Union Address delivered before a joint session of Congress at the invitation of her colleague, the Speaker of the House, then complained while dining out she was yelled at by an 'insane woman and her son'

That, ladies and gentlemen, is a true dictim.
She makes me (almost) wish I had her nerve in my tooth.  

I know I'll tire of my current favorite word but I am of good cheer as Dictionary.com has just released its own version of recently-added, newly-minted English language words, and some of them....well, read for yourself
-bill kenny


No comments:

Ruminating about Roosevelt

I have some random and not especially original observations before Monday night’s Second Public Hearing on the City Budget.  Theodore Roosev...