Thursday, August 10, 2023

And Then There Was One

I grew up in New Jersey (Exit 9 before you ask) and it never occurred to me that there was anything unusual about having a service station attendant pump my gasoline, and (because I am so old it's almost prehistoric) they would also check under the hood and look at your oil and other fluid levels AND clean your windshield. Yepper. No lie. 

I'm not sure why New Jersey required a service station attendant, but they did and still do. In most other states I've driven, you pump your own gas. For the longest time, only Oregon and New Jersey were the hold-outs and now, it's just Jersey.   

And Jersey guys ain't too wild about it either

Now that I'm a geezer, I think I'd like to be coddled a little bit at a gas station so maybe there could be a movement to bring back 'gas jockeys' as I think they were called, or was it 'pump pimps'? No, probably not that one, because everyone deserves to be pampered if not always then at least just a little bit.
-bill kenny

No comments:

Ruminating about Roosevelt

I have some random and not especially original observations before Monday night’s Second Public Hearing on the City Budget.  Theodore Roosev...