Friday, January 12, 2024

Couch Potatoes Unite!

I am as I'm sure you've long suspected a single-minded idiot. As much as I admire anyone who successfully multi-tasks, I'm not good at emulating. I have difficulty with the proverbial chewing gum and walking (or doing anything else at the same time) scenario.

I'm a firm believer in 'when we rock, we rock and when we roll, we roll.' I'm not especially keen on getting my peanut butter mixed up with my chocolate metaphorically or metaphysically.  

Thus when I watch TV, I don't watch it with my cell phone in my hand. I don't have any friends (not a boast just a fact) so it's not like I have to text my bestie to discuss whatever just happened on whatever TV program we aren't watching together.    

I sit on my couch and watch TV. My wife is the explorer; she goes off on Paramount Plus or Amazon Prime or Brit Box and Acorn and watches multi-part series on the lives of Professional Sumo Wrestlers or a real-time documentary on the construction of Hadrian's Wall while I watch old episodes of House on PopTV. 

As she watches, she has her cell phone close by and Googles all the characters on the screen and learns even more about them. I know Hugh Lurie is in House and one of the people who was in Chicago Fire is also on the show. That's it. She is immersed in her viewing experience and strives to enhance it while I use mine to escape. 

No couches were harmed in the creation of this illustration.

But now, I, too, can multi-task AND get fit all at the time! Sell my clothes, I'm going to heaven! The only way this could be better would be if I had a treadmill hooked up to a generator that supplied power to my TV and the faster I ran, the brighter the colors and the louder the volume. Or maybe vice versa.
-bill kenny

No comments:

Ruminating about Roosevelt

I have some random and not especially original observations before Monday night’s Second Public Hearing on the City Budget.  Theodore Roosev...