Friday, July 26, 2024

From Nine to Thirty-Two

The Summer Olympics of 2024 begins today in Paris, France. 

In the two weeks of the Olympics, there will be three hundred and thirty-two events in thirty-two separate sports including twenty-four different sports on the first day. 

The original Olympics, first held in 776 B.C., and for whom the Paris Olympiad is a commemoration, lasted five days and had nine events

I suspect the original games were shorter because there was no television and, more importantly, no official beer sponsors to buy commercials. Speaking of which, here's one I'll bet we don't see.
-bill kenny 

No comments:

Brevity Is the Soul of Something

I love words and have my entire life, I've watched with a cautious disdain rivaling Richard Cory's as we've devolved from words ...