Monday, June 23, 2014

Hope Floats

I had a long, hard week last week in the gym so maybe that's part of why the dream I had last night happened. The rest of the reason, I'm thinking/hoping is torn from the sporting headlines.

I dreamed last night I was toiling away on the cross-trainer in the Planet Fitness I frequent to the dismay of the staff.  That was certainly the case in real life as I struggled with one for the first three days of the work week last week eventually, against my better judgement, switching to the treadmill because I was getting off the device physically broken and not understanding why that was happening.

In the dream, the person alongside of me was using his Kindle to read I don't know what, perhaps a book or a magazine. I'm working the handles on the cross-trainer like a crazed loon, shuffling my feet and alongside of me oh-so-nonchalantly Ignaz, or whatever his name was, is just be-bopping along and every once in a while I see him wet his index finger and touch the upper corner of the kindle screen to turn the page.

Ignoring the fact that I have no idea how you work a kindle but feel pretty safe in assuming you don't need to moisten a finger before touching it to turn the page, I watched him out of the corner of my eye turn five pages.

I still have a distinct memory of turning my head towards him after the fifth one, and saying to him, "Hope Floats" and then hitting him full in the face with my left fist coming across my body and nailing him squarely across the bridge of the nose.

Like I said, I'm pretty sure it was a dream though I did check the police blotter just in case. Now I'll have to visit the Amazon site to see if Hope Solo has an endorsement deal for the Kindle Fire HDX, under a headline that screams, 'It's a Hit!'
-bill kenny

No comments:

A Childhood Memory

As a child at Saint Peter's (sic) School in New Brunswick, New Jersey, it was forcibly impressed upon us by the Sisters of Charity whose...