Sunday, June 22, 2014

My (Current) Little Town

As a kid growing up I hung out with some guys whose basic rule in cut battles was always 'no mothers.' If you don't know what a cut battle is, move on as I lack the energy to take you back to the USA I grew up in the Fifties and early Sixties. It would be like trying to imagine the aroma of the number seven. Enjoy your day.

Unfortunately, as a grown-up, I live in a place where that rule is never applied to where we live. At times we seem to have foot-races to see who can come up first and fastest with the most egregious tale of ineptitude, incompetence or injury happening in the city limits. No one is innocent in this endeavor, including yours truly.
From the Heritage Trail, between the Falls at Uncas Leap and  the Sweeney Bridge.
And then you have a day like we had in these parts yesterday; the weather was perfect; I had literally nothing else to do but walk the Heritage Trail from near my house to the harbor and enjoy the sunshine.

I like to think the rocks rather dramatically illustarte the river and shore demarcation.
I skipped using headphones and listening to music so I could take in the sounds of what my city is like to complement the sights of who we are on a summer's day. That it was also the first full Summer's Day was sort of parenthetical. It was lovely, all of it.

As far out into the Harbor as you can go and not be in a boat or walking on water. 
There was a festival going on at the harbor, lots of booths, barbecue food and singing and dancing. Because we close the boat launch, located in the middle of this pocket park at the river's edge every time we hold an event, doesn't make the schools of fishermen especially happy, nor should it.

The understated beauty of the houses that line Union Street on the way to City Hall.
Of course, no one wants to put anyone else at risk which is one of the reasons why the launch gets closed. The solution would be another launch, a larger one in an area designed for recreational fishermen but that's an idea that costs more money than we have.

Somehow the blue skies and sunshine really bring out the red brick in our City Hall.
And there, right there, is how I get into one of those situations where I, too, am knocking my town. Started out on a walk to the Harbor and look at what happened. The 'no mothers' rule, though, still applies. In case you thought otherwise.
-bill kenny

No comments:

B-B-Back in M-M-My D-D-Day

On New Year's Day, 1966, London Records (their USA record company) unveiled a billboard for the next Rolling Stones album, December'...