Saturday, June 14, 2014

In Plain Sight and Yet Seldom Seen

I was unsettled at the number of people who told me this past week that "we've got a special day coming up!" If you live every day like it's your last, as I do, they're all special (of course, when I come home at night I have to deal with somewhat disappointed if not angry people and help them take my stuff out of their car).

I understood what they meant-tomorrow is Father's Day but today is also very important-it's Flag Day. Sorry Hallmark, not commercially viable I suppose.

We think "flag" on the Fourth of July and mentally if not physically pack it away by noon on the fifth. In the aftermath of 09/11/01, people had them everywhere to the point, I fear, of the flag having no point for many.

Our men and women in uniform do not defend the flag-they defend the nation the flag represents, warts and all (and have you looked at us in the mirror lately? We are some pretty scary people my friend). The flag stands for us and sometimes, I'm sorry to report, we'll fall for anything.


You can stand alone 
Or with somebody else 
Or stand with all of us, together.

If you can believe
In something bigger than yourself
You can follow the flag forever.
-bill kenny

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Are you waving at me? Are YOU waving at ME?"
Leeroy D. Niro

William Kenny said...

...and I thought I had too much time on my hands....;-)

Now and Zen

Our local supermarket, feeling the competitive pressure no doubt of an Arkansas retail chain in a business where profit margins often disapp...