Thursday, April 7, 2016

The Other Stewie

When I went to bed Tuesday evening, I knew my New York Yankees had started the 2016 Major League Baseball season the way they ended 2015’s, by losing to the Houston Astros. The disheartening similarity and symmetry were, to put it mildly, more than a little off-putting.

Bedtime comes early on school nights for me so I didn’t know which candidate would capture the Wisconsin Democratic primary though I had my druthers. In the interest of full disclosure, I should tell you there was also a Republican primary, though, continuing in that same full disclosure mode (and maybe adding a dollop of that snarky attitude I pretend is charm), I should add I didn’t care who won that one.

And living in the Land of the Round Doorknobs where University of Connecticut athletics is just about as close to professional sports as we get, I closed my eyes hoping the UConn Lady Huskies would triumph over the Syracuse Orange (Wo)men, which, when I awoke very early yesterday morning I learned they most certainly had.

A dynasty’s destiny delivered. Congratulations on your well-deserved success. Perhaps now, we can finally have some actual spring weather here in The Land of Steady Habits, preferably starting this weekend so some of us (me) can go outside and enjoy it.
-bill kenny      

  

No comments:

B-B-Back in M-M-My D-D-Day

On New Year's Day, 1966, London Records (their USA record company) unveiled a billboard for the next Rolling Stones album, December'...