Wednesday, May 2, 2018

First Things, First

It's been a little more than two weeks since our last snow, so I'm trying to decide if that means winter is broken or finally over and while my brain is cautious my heart wants to enthusiastically embrace the latter. How about you?

Let's face it, the temperatures have been getting warmer and the daylight tarries a little later and longer every evening and maybe it's just the root beer talking but I believe our long-delayed spring has decided to make an appearance. 

Charles Schultz's Snoopy has a 'Welcome Spring' dance, that fortunately for all of us I am prohibited from attempting in public (hint: it's not pretty, though it has been called pretty ugly). But Downtown Norwich has a monthly First Friday which, in honor of both the calendar and the promise of the season, I feel you should regard as not only a welcome to spring but an invitation to explore the ever-expanding palette of offerings in Chelsea. 

There's a First Friday, of course, every month but my keenness and interest tends to heat up in direct correlation to the mercury and I think you too will warm to this Friday's offerings (which might make you wish there were more hours in the evening because there's so much to see and do).

If we add 'stop whining,' I could support this as the next city motto 

Technically, I'm too old for the 10th Annual World Youth Day which will start First Friday at five, sponsored by Bully-Busters and hosted by the United Congregational Church, 87 Broadway, with food, games, and music but I forged a permission slip signed by our two children and besides, I am very good at acting childish (ask anyone) so that should count for something.

Just a few steps away, at the Gallery at the Wauregan, is the premiere of Bill Murray Drawings. and since you're out walking, continue less than a half block to Harp & Dragon for First Friday Art Extravaganza featuring the Harp's own Kati Dumas and the photography of Bill Dutton. You'll be reminded again of why the expression goes 'a picture is worth a thousand words.'

At Encore Justified, from six until nine, it's Open Piano which means exactly what you think it means. And at the Donald Oat Theater, Norwich Arts Center offers a great night of classic and contemporary jazz from two of the area’s favorites, Steve and Lisa Marien who are celebrating 35 years of making music together. 

In addition to at least a dozen or so great places to grab a bite and something to slake your thirst in between all the sights and sounds, there's another reason, or should I say grounds, for enjoying this First Friday.  

If like me, you've made it a point to walk along lower Broadway and try to peer into the windows of Craftsman Cliff Roasters at 30-34 Broadway, the good news is the empty coffee bags on the windows have been removed. The even better news is they'll be open offering First Fridayers a taste of what's brewing in advance of their official opening. I talked my way in on Saturday afternoon for a quick look around and I think you'll love the space, scent, sounds, cocoa, baked goods and coffee (of course!).           

If you've been a regular at First Fridays, you already know to plan to come early and stay late and if you've been promising yourself to check it out once the weather is good, then this is the First Friday to make your First Friday. 
-bill kenny

 

No comments:

Candles on the Cake Set off the Smoke Alarm

I got congratulated a lot Friday for my birthday when it was really my mom who deserved all the credit. I was, literally, along for the ride...