Saturday, March 27, 2021

Bloom Where You're Planted, Orlando

I went for a quick walk at mid-morning yesterday before Sigrid and I headed to Middletown for Phase Two of the Pfizer Fauci Ouchy. The skies threatened rain but they threaten a lot of things this time of year, often simultaneously but it held off during my wandering.

I cheated because I didn't do a long walk but hiked down Washington Avenue, hanging the left on Lafayette Street across from the William W. Backus Hospital, striding past the Yantic Cemetery and remembering again how disquieting I found that view from my hospital window on the various occasions I've volunteered there to be an orange Jell-O tester.  

I then made another left onto Sachem Street and crossed again at the intersection on Washington Street to walk around the perimeter of Chelsea Parade and then back to my house. The warmth of the weather we've had combined with the rain I'm thinking has caused a lot of the shrubs and bushes I pass to transform from nearly-shapeless sticks to budding and blooming bushes. 

The reddish hue on the buds and the small young green leaves that unfold from them within days is a good look for them and makes me feel better as well. I passed a house on Williams Street at the intersection with Washington (where it splits into 'and Broadway') and its hedges have green leaves that really pop on a misty morning like we had yesterday. Steps later and farther down the street, seemingly to my eyes the same hedges in front of a different house still appear morose and lifeless.

They'll catch up soon enough I hope with their arboreal competitors up the street because nature runs on its schedule and not ours. I appreciate the timely reminder.
-bill kenny 

No comments:

Candles on the Cake Set off the Smoke Alarm

I got congratulated a lot Friday for my birthday when it was really my mom who deserved all the credit. I was, literally, along for the ride...