Sunday, March 14, 2021

Ticking Away

Good morning to you slightly earlier. 

In some parts of the world this time yesterday was the day before and now in these parts, it's already light. This is the time of the year when I'm never sure if it's better to believe the calendar or my own eyes. Today is the beginning of daylight saving time and many of us are already counting down the days to spring (I guess so we can then count down the days until Summer) which is actually this coming Saturday but when I look out the window there are more than enough reminders everywhere that winter's last word hasn't yet been spoken.   

Don't know about your house, but in mine, there's always one clock we forgot to move forward on Saturday night and then didn't see it at all Sunday so it's actually Monday or Tuesday when we finally get caught up on all the watches and clocks. 

I hate the clock on the microwave and it shows because I never get it set correctly. You can hear the sounds of my struggling with it as it beeps and bleats in frustration while I manage to do everything but get it to move forward and eventually my wife resets it in what seems to be one fluid motion leaving me to wonder as I always do why we have the forward and back thing with the clocks in the first place. 

As someone raised a Catholic I guess I should find familiar solace in a ritual that we do whether we understand why we do it or not. And while I'd like to hope the spring ahead means winter is now finally in retreat in the Northeast what we will have is more daylight in the afternoons. As a kid, I thought it made the days longer and gave us more time and the elderly adult in me now hopes that the kid was right on both counts.   
-bill kenny


No comments:

Candles on the Cake Set off the Smoke Alarm

I got congratulated a lot Friday for my birthday when it was really my mom who deserved all the credit. I was, literally, along for the ride...