Monday, March 8, 2021

#ChooseToChallenge

Today is International Women's Day. I'm reasonably sure holding a celebratory repast at the International House of Pancakes is not considered appropriate if that's what you were leaning towards. I'm neither an expert on and certainly not myself, a woman-but more of a visitor, a beyond-interested bystander, on an extended and extensive tour of their world.

I live together with my wife of forty-three-plus years (to be honest, she allows me to live with her and I am fortunate beyond words that she does). I am very aware of the importance of closing previously shut closet doors when finished rummaging around inside. I know well the notion of turning off a light I turned on when entering a room when I leave it. And there is nothing about a well-known lid on a well-known seat in a particularly utilitarian room about which I have not been thoroughly schooled.


Those who celebrate our continuing advances in achieving equality will eventually revel in triumphs that today are unimaginable but by tomorrow will be commonplace. I came across a thought the other day (I have so few of my own I almost didn't recognize what it was) from Joseph Conrad (Mistah Kurtz, he deadThat Joseph Conrad) which captures, I feel, the moment and many of the moments so many women live through every day: "Being a woman is a terribly difficult task since it consists principally in dealing with men." 

Perhaps speaking only for me, thank you.
-bill kenny     
 

No comments:

Pack Your Own Chute

I have been pretty much a homebody since retirement six years ago. Sue me. I like to sleep in my own bed. That doesn't mean I'm aver...