Monday, September 19, 2022

I'm Gonna Paint You By Numbers

I was yesterday old before finding out that there's a National Toy Hall of Fame (in Rochester, New York) and that every year they induct three fan-nominated toys to join those already enshrined.

This year's nominees include only one with which I am familiar (as a parent not as a child), Skeletor and He-Man from Masters of the Universe. We have every single one of the many members of the MotU family our son, Patrick, used to play with carefully stored in containers in our basement in Connecticut, which, as he now lives in Florida, makes it harder for him to play with but I believe the thinking is that perhaps someday a grandchild may wish to enjoy them.

We have Beanie Babies, our daughter, Michelle's, favorites in a massive wooden toy chest that's parked at the moment under a glass-topped table alongside a window in what once was Patrick's, then Michelle's, bedroom and is now what my wife calls my man-cave but I think of as a fortress of ineptitude.

And even as cries of fake electors and rigged elections are still ringing in our ears, we (yes, you and I) can exercise our right to vote by casting a ballot for the next inductee into the Toy Hall of Fame. I suspect a much more satisfying experience than most of our other trips to the polls in recent years, but hurry as voting ends this Wednesday. 

So, as we used today in New Jersey (and probably still do), vote early and often!
-bill kenny


 

No comments:

Marlin Perkins Approved

John Lennon had a hit, post-Beatles, with Whatever Gets You Through the Night , his only #1 as a solo artist, which featured Elton John. The...