Monday, September 12, 2022

When Tomorrow Arrives

The Subaru Forester we leased in March is so much smarter than I am it's a miracle it allows me to get in it, not that I do a lot of the driving once I do. 

It's not the most expensive model Subaru makes, it's somewhere in the middle I guess, and has front and rear collision avoidance systems, lane departure and correction tools, cruise control that also brakes for me, and an infotainment system that will read my email to me (but not do any voice impressions of the people who wrote them; maybe that's a the top of the line version?).

Yep, it's a brave new world for an old dog like me struggling to remember the tricks he learned a long time ago when he thought the story went on for an even longer time. Except, it's already been a very long time and I'm not sure it's getting better, though I was heartened by something I fell across the other day about using Artificial Intelligence, not as in SkyNet, but as a practical tool to complement and improve our lives here on the Big Blue Marble even if our time is starting to look like a limited time offer without operators standing by.  

I'm hoping you'll read this and be as filled with hope for us as I was when I finished it. Enjoy.
-bill kenny

No comments:

Marlin Perkins Approved

John Lennon had a hit, post-Beatles, with Whatever Gets You Through the Night , his only #1 as a solo artist, which featured Elton John. The...