Sunday, September 11, 2022

The Hurt that Never Heals

I will take to my grave the memory of the television announcement that President Kennedy had been murdered, the images from beyond the horizon of the first halting steps mankind took on the moon, the stream of desperate humanity overwhelming the American Embassy in Saigon as South Vietnam disappeared from the history of the earth, and crazy patterns within the clouds in a sky of beautiful blue as the Challenger space shuttle disintegrated moments after liftoff with no time for goodbyes. 

But even with all of those memories, I will always have room in my heart for the calamities that I will always associate with the murderous cowardice of 9/11/01 and how in the moments that followed it, we were a nation united in our grief before, for reasons I cannot ever comprehend, we decided to return to our lives of self-centeredness, barely remembering the names of those who cannot ever be forgotten.
-bill kenny

    

No comments:

Marlin Perkins Approved

John Lennon had a hit, post-Beatles, with Whatever Gets You Through the Night , his only #1 as a solo artist, which featured Elton John. The...