Friday, June 9, 2023

Childhood Memory Reclaimed

Two things happened within minutes of one another the other day and I REFUSE to believe it was coincidence or an algorithm gone amok. 

First, I came across this print article about a toy we all played with in my childhood while waiting for the Civil War to end and for the dinosaurs to stop threatening us as we walked uphill in both directions through six inches of snow on the way to school. 

That stuff, as you can see in the video, was amazing. Was there anyone alive at the time who had it and didn't use it to lift comics from the newspaper page? I know I did about a bajillion times though I cannot remember what I did with those sort-of-etchings.

And did I mention it bounced

Not like Wham-O's Super Ball, of course, but really high. But woe unto you if you forgot to put it back in its protective egg at the end of a session. 

So go ahead and think you and yours have the greatest time-wasters thanks to technology and computers and I'll wager you a small jar of edible paste that when you whippersnappers were still a gleam in someone's eye while standing on my lawn, we knew how to make our own fun.
-bill kenny

No comments:

Marlin Perkins Approved

John Lennon had a hit, post-Beatles, with Whatever Gets You Through the Night , his only #1 as a solo artist, which featured Elton John. The...