Tuesday, June 27, 2023

Weather or Not

We had another nearly-nice day yesterday around here. I'm treating June in Connecticut as if it were a chocolate layer cake, always moist. Seems to be more or less a national trend but I don't live in Indiana or any other exotic environment, so I don't know what it's like where you are. 

I do know when John Donne rings the bell around here, I'm the only one in my corner. And right now, even though summer has officially started, I'm not working on my tan, that's rust.

Of course, we had showers, not much just enough to get everything damp. If we were to NOT have showers, I'd fret something was wrong with the clouds. Oldest children worry about everything and when stuff is going great, we worry that we overlooked something. As I said, we didn't have torrents of rain (at least around here) but enough rain that you knew it was raining as if Gene Kelly could keep a secret if his life depended on it.

And as I walked from Point A to Point 2 (I majored in neither math nor phonics at Rutgers, nor orienteering (come to think of it) which must be why so many people tell me where to go) I passed a building where the sprinklers were on, making sure the lawn was getting watered. 

I imagine there's a schedule for this kind of stuff and a contract to regulate the relationship between the waterer and the wateree and yet, this is another one of those bridges that becomes a wall. Instead of an agreement that helps get things done, we have a starting gun in a footrace to see which side can come up with a faster reason for why something cannot be accomplished. 

Or, we have a variant of the Abilene Paradox in which one party is not willing to even attempt to change a relationship even though they say they want to change. Instead, they maneuver to have the other side come up with reasons for why change is bad so they are absolved of any responsibility to change.

Happens every day and more often than you'd imagine. Just watch the evening news and listen to what those who are our leaders say and then watch what they do. In Washington D. C. both Republicans and Democrats say they want to help middle-class voters with a responsible budget and balanced spending (not sure they care a fried rat's hindquarters about anyone else)

With both sides saying they want the same thing you could well ask what could be easier to accomplish? Yeah, right. Tell you what, how about you hold on to the umbrella, just in case, and I'll go get a yellow Macintosh and a rain hat. I already have the tartar sauce, so no pressure; but come Friday we'd all like a nice piece of cod, okay?
-bill kenny

No comments:

Marlin Perkins Approved

John Lennon had a hit, post-Beatles, with Whatever Gets You Through the Night , his only #1 as a solo artist, which featured Elton John. The...