Thursday, October 17, 2024

An Illogical Imponderable

I've heard people ask (and have said it myself, sadly), 'Why can't you be reasonable and just do it my way?' I'm not sure the whole "My Mind Is Made Up, Don't Confuse Me With Facts" has ever been more true in my lifetime than it is right now. 

I look at people with Trump/Vance bumper stickers with the same disdain and incredulity that I am sure they have for my Harris/Walz decal. The difference, as my evil twin Skippy would point out, is that I am right and they are wrong. My tongue may have been in my cheek when typing the previous sentence.

My point, and I removed my Blue Wave ballcap so you can see it, is we seem to live in a time when opinions shape facts instead of vice versa (as has been traditional in all thought, since time began). 

I encounter people mostly with red ballcaps who tell me they don't "believe" in Climate Change (as if it were some kind of Santa Claus or Easter Bunny), but who, in their next breath endorse the theory by the Nitwit from The Peach State that 'the government' controls the weather. Somehow these two thoughts seem to exist simultaneously in their heads. 

I'd like to understand and also be understood. To that end, I came across an article online whose title, alone, was a reason to read it: Why People Who Are Wrong Think They Are Right.

But don't just read the article, read the study the article is about.

I've always believed the expression, 'My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge' was a joke. Turns out we're all the punchline.
-bill kenny

No comments:

An Illogical Imponderable

I've heard people ask (and have said it myself, sadly), 'Why can't you be reasonable and just do it my way?' I'm not sur...