Friday, June 9, 2017

Knot Now John

I make a conscious effort to walk a lot, at my job, around the neighborhood, and in my life. Having struggled for years with bad knees and having them replaced separately (but equally) over the last decade, since I can now walk relatively pain-free, I do so a lot (about 15,000 steps a day or more).

A couple of Sundays ago, I rode the Yankee Clipper from New Haven, Connecticut, to Yankee Stadium for an early afternoon game against the A's over the Memorial Day weekend (and got to watch Aaron Judge hit his first-ever career grand slam home run (but suspect, not his last)) and we had a terrific time once I overcame the fault out of the gate, literally, as we were entering Yankee Stadium.

I set off every alarm at the entrance, and it wasn't because I'd forgotten my car keys were in my pocket, but rather because of the metal in my replacement kneecaps. I have cards, from the surgeons who did the operations, that I can give to people whose alarms go off, but I was non-plussed that it happened at Yankee Stadium where, obviously because of the size of the crowds they have, the sensitivities of their sensors are turned up to eleven.

Anyway. I go to work in my work clothes (hence the name, I guess) and in the course of the day, to give my feet a break, I swap my oxford shoes, not comma, for sneakers and continue striding purposefully, or porpoisely if near a marina or aquarium, through my day. I have my sneakers laced in such a way that I can lock knot them; that is, I use those two close-together top holes to form the loop with the lace that, after tying helps prevent the knot from loosening.

I'm not able to do that with my shoes whose laces would probably be better if they were thirty instead of thirty-six inches long. No matter how well I tie my right lace and often even double-tie the right one, it works its way open. But it may not all be my fault or failure nor some kind of sinister force.

I first picked up on that story via ABC Radio on my slacker app on my smart phone and smiled in learning that a large variety of news services covered it and spread the word. Everyone I've encountered in recent days has picked up on the story and, unlike climate change (and POTUS 44's place of birth) has no problem believing in the science behind the conclusion.

For my part, I budget an extra moment or two in the course of my day to retie a shoelace as I add to my step-total by jumping to conclusions or running around in circles. It fills up the time and makes the day go past, but it's hell on the shoe leather.
-bill kenny       

No comments:

Art for Art's Sake

The purpose of art is to conceal art.   This is called "The Invisibility of Poverty" created by Kevin Lee. -bill kenny