Saturday, January 2, 2021

If You Can Remember Just One Thing

In some ways, perhaps, the pandemic and the precautions make our lives a little more subdued, or is that just me? Yes, life is still roaring at my window, but not as ferociously as it did when I was working mostly for people who, at best, paid no more than perfunctory attention to who I was or what I was doing. 

It was ironic and also appropriate that I never felt the need to see the approval in their eyes because there was no place or space for me anywhere in their gaze. Once I pulled into a side road on the human highway some two and half years ago, I was still aware of the rats and their races, but I hear the sounds now through layers of gauze and indifference I didn't have earlier.    

The changes in our world as a result of This Plague didn't impact me and mine nearly as severely as they might have had this happened three or more years ago and I'm grateful for that, though it reads oddly even to me as I look at the sentence now. 

With all the advice you got as you struggled to square away and secure the souvenirs and lessons learned in 2020 and simultaneously prepared for the launch of 2021 and the start again of the drill, try to hold on to this, just this, and just for a moment.

And while it's easy to believe in it, it's hard to do. Believe me. It takes a lifetime. This is the first weekend of the new year and if you need a bigger reason to do something for yourself, you'll need to look elsewhere because I'm all out of bravos and bromides
-bill kenny


No comments:

Man or Mouse?

We see ourselves as the self-anointed 'Crown of Creation.' I'm surprised more of us don't have dislocated shoulders from pat...