Monday, January 30, 2023

Humbled to the Core

I never know what to make of a news story that, at first reading, strikes me as both disquieting and alarming only to learn as the day progresses it's becoming more of a 'nothing to see here' type of story. 

I'm not sure I'm still not right to be worried when the headline is "Earth's Inner Core May Have Stopped Turning..."  

And I'm sure Hrvoje Tkalcic has only the best of intentions when he offers, "Nothing cataclysmic is happening." And I would feel more reassured except the story suggests to me that a lot of the science I'm assuming is a foundation for these discoveries and conclusions is, in reality, more wild-assed guessing than stone certainty. Yep, I'm feeling a whole better now, how about you? 

I'll tell you what awed me, as in shock and awe, this view, courtesy of the Dark Energy Camera Plane Survey, of the Milky Way.  

So much beauty meeting so much science.  All you can do is marvel.
-bill kenny

No comments:

Marlin Perkins Approved

John Lennon had a hit, post-Beatles, with Whatever Gets You Through the Night , his only #1 as a solo artist, which featured Elton John. The...