Sunday, January 15, 2023

Purposefully Striding

I spent a great deal of time and, for me, money, in December into January seeing a physical therapist as my Primary Care Physician vamped for time waiting on an MRI of my spine that she'd arranged through a neurology group. 

In recent months/years, the rate of growth and spread of arthritis in my lower back has become both extremely painful and very problematic. I'd been approaching a self-mediation route that had me taking between eight and fourteen arthritis-strength Tylenol a day with a healthy (pun intended) helping of CBD oil.

The therapist's intent was to relax some of the deep muscles in the lower half of my body that cramp up sometimes a dozen times a day and over which I seem to have little to no control. There are days, I go from being in pain after standing for fifteen minutes to being in pain after I sit down followed by more pain when I lie down and start the cycle all over again. It does keep me out of trouble but accomplishes little else.   

I saw him for a half hour at a time twice a week and by the sessions' conclusion earlier this month, between the modified stretches he has me doing and some of the mindfulness techniques he showed me to change my gait, which he described as 'too short, with a near-dragging of your feet' which helped (to me) explain why I fall down and/or lose my balance repeatedly in a daily basis, I had a better insight into why I'm so broken and battered physically. 

Whether anything can be repaired or regained, I'll learn more next week when I sit with the neurologist as she explains the MRI images to me and maps out the route ahead. I mention all of this because, in the midst of practicing my new way of walking, I came across an article that while I didn't fully understand it, what I could grasp made me feel a lot better. 

Not enough to go for a walk, mind you, but at least to think about lacing up my sneakers
-bill kenny

No comments:

Marlin Perkins Approved

John Lennon had a hit, post-Beatles, with Whatever Gets You Through the Night , his only #1 as a solo artist, which featured Elton John. The...