Thursday, August 2, 2012

Chicken or the Egg?

Yesterday was Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day. If you need a moron like me to tell you the background behind it, let's cut to the chase, shall we? You are too stupid to own a computer so please turn it off, unplug it from the wall and ship it back to whomever you bought it from. Do the same thing with the TV and the newspaper(s).

Wait, who am I kidding?  People who think this is an actual major news story are already too stupid to read and think or vice versa. As you were .

I have no idea how successful the day was.Wait until the perfectly-coiffed ladies and impeccably attired gentlemen of the day shift at Fox News show up and they'll be covering this bad boy wall to wall so we'll all know (way more than we ever wanted to, but here in the Land of the Mostly Free and the Occasionally Brave When No One Is Looking, excess = success). Meanwhile my heart will just carry on.

Tomorrow is Kiss Mor Chiks Day, or a counter demonstration to yesterday's retail action if you accept the principle that Congress is the opposite of progress, I guess. It seems this is a good week to own one of these joints and I live in a part of the country where all we ever see or hear of them is the advertising for the Super Bowl. Fair enough. I concede it would hard to fire one of those cows out of a cannon.

The only ones grinning are the people who own the restaurants. They're rolling in the dough. If I didn't know better, and I don't, I'd believe the marketers created this kerfuffle to make the sales graph jump. The rest of us are really cranked about I'm not actually sure of what but we make up in passion what we lack in knowledge  and our arguments have gotten very loud because we don't seem to have any facts, on either side.

Here's what scares me in all of this: when I'm the sanest guy in the room, we need to get a bigger room, a much bigger room and pronto, Tonto. It's bad enough we have turned our lives into some kind of a food fight over politics, religion, foreign affairs, money, social mores and whatever way the wind blows, but now we're having a food fight over food? WTF (Why the food; what did you think?)
-bill kenny  

No comments:

Let a Smile Be Your Umbrella

At seven-plus decades here on the Big Blue Marble, I am perhaps inordinately proud of having very nearly all my own teeth and hardly any cav...