Saturday, August 11, 2012

No Turn-Down Service and No Wake-Up Call

This is embarrassing. I fell asleep at the start of writing this. I know what you're thinking "every one's a critic!" and you make an excellent point. I must live in a tough room. I actually slept in an hour longer yesterday morning than I had intended and then paid for it, heavily, spending most of the morning with that running under water effect (as I call it) where everything I usually do without thinking becomes extremely hard to do no matter how much I concentrate.

It took me all day to get done what's usually history by mid-morning and I just kept losing pieces of time-I'd sit down to reply to an email and look up from the screen to realize I didn't know how long I'd been sitting in my chair, whether I had dozed off or had replied .

I brought that malaise home with me through a rain squall on the interstate which that was so bad I feared all of us would have to stop racing like autobot lemmings and pull over. Luckily it never got to that. Phew! As quickly and violently as it stormed, it stopped, and by the time I got home, it was dry. I sat on the couch in our living room for just a minute to take a break and catch my breath and sat up forty-five minutes later to realize I'd stretched out and gone to sleep.

I've been getting by on a weekday regimen that has me turn in at ten (or 2200 as they say everywhere else on earth except in the nation of my birth) and awaken at 0300 (self-explanatory). On weekends, I've been sleeping in until about seven, unless there's a blood draw and I've made an early appointment. Now that I've given up the biweekly Self-Licking Ice Cream Cone Admiration Aggregation Association Convocations, I have Saturday mornings free with pretty much the same routine on the Lord's Day.

I've done a reasonable amount of reading that suggests as you age you need less sleep. I remember watching our children when they were newborns and all they did (all we do at that age) was sleep so I guess it makes sense, especially if you think about The Second Act, the one with no curtain call.
-bill kenny      

No comments:

Charting a Course

Now that we've had three weeks or so to catch our breath (scout for exits perhaps and count our spare change) I heard someone suggest th...